Happy Thanksgiving from us at the Apartments of Wildewood! While it’s an amazing time of year, surrounded by good friends and family as well as delicious food, it’s also important to remember fire safety. We’re glad you’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving with us and enjoying your time in your rental unit, but with that said, we want to make sure you’re safe. Considering Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, remember to exercise caution when making all of those tasty foods for your family and friends!
What to Do
- Stay in the kitchen. Sometimes the holidays can be pretty hectic, especially if you’re hosting your entire family in your rental unit. That said, it’s important that someone is always present in the kitchen to keep an eye on the food.
- Keep children away from the stove. Since this is where all the magic happens, stoves can seem enticing to little kids. Still, it presents a potential safety risk and children should stay at least 3 feet away from the stove.
- Keep your floor clear. You don’t want to be tripping over kids, toys, or anything else that may be laying around on the floor.
- Use a timer. Be sure you’re regularly checking on whatever it is you’re cooking.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
What Not to Do
- Leave knives within reach of children. Sometimes kids don’t know what something does and grab it just out of curiosity and knives are no exception. Keep all of your sharp cooking utensils out of reach.
- Leave children alone in the room. Even if you’ve turned the stove off and put all knives away, something as simple as your dinner table’s candle can pose a threat.
- Keep matches or lighters within reach of children. They can use them to unintentionally cause a fire and someone could get seriously hurt.
- Use a glass casserole or lid on your stovetop or burner. Glass can explode from the heat.
The Apartments of Wildewood have a friendly community that’s waiting to welcome you!
At The Apartments of Wildewood, located in beautiful in St. Mary’s Maryland, we offer homes with access to pools, an on-site gym, and maintenance whenever you need it – and have access to all the information you need to affordably rent an apartment in St. Mary’s. To set up an appointment to check out an apartment or townhouse rental from The Apartments at Wildewood, call us at 301.737.0737 or visit the website!