Moving is a crazy process. There are so many things to consider. Do I have everything I need to move in? Do I have enough people to help me move? Is everything packed? It’s important to organize your thoughts when moving. Creating a checklist for each step of the move well in advance will help you organize your thoughts and give you a smooth move into your new St. Mary’s County apartment rental. This checklist is a good one to follow right before you move into your new home. You’ll want to start it maybe a day or two before the move.
- Take care of your lease – Make sure you sign it, return it, and make a copy for yourself just in case you need it in the future. Turning in the lease is the most important things you can do since it’s your binding contract. Usually you’ll sign the lease in the office with your leasing agent present, but regardless, make sure you have a copy and you get the signing in.
- Pay your deposit and first month’s rent – It’s not a bad idea to do this the same day you sign the lease. Try to take everything with you and get it taken care of all at once. It’ll spare you the extra trip, when you could be spending the time packing and getting ready for the move. It can be a busy, busy time.
- Pick up and duplicate your keys – Once you’ve picked up your keys, you should make a trip to your local hardware store to get copies of the keys made. You’ll want one for each person in your home as well as a spare. Keep the spare somewhere safe, but accessible.
- Call utility companies – You’ll need to call and set up your utilities as soon as possible, that way everything is ready for you upon move in. Don’t want to schedule utility companies to get the job done. If you want electricity when you move in, it’ll be your responsibility to get it set up.
- Inspect the apartment with maintenance – Go through the apartment with maintenance before you move in to make sure that there are no maintenance issues that need to be taken care of. If there are, write them on the discrepancy sheet and turn it in immediately.
Once you’ve done these things, you’ll be ready to get started on a move in checklist. Make sure you keep track of everything you’ve taken care of and know what’s still left to be done. Don’t let moving overwhelm you! It should be an exciting new beginning.
If you’re looking for a great place to rent in St. Mary’s County this summer, make sure you visit Apartments of Wildewood. We promise you’ll feel right at home! We’re St. Mary’s most coveted address. Come visit, check out our website, or give us a call at 301.737.0737 to find out why!
For more about renting with Wildewood, check out our Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or LinkedIn!